Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Blog 1 - Little Women - An Example of YAL or Classic?

Butler and Hinton define young adult literature “as literature in prose or verse that has excellent form or expression in its genre, provides a unique adolescent point of view, and reflects the concerns, interests, and challenges of contemporary adults” aged 12 to 20 years old (8). The authors then go on to further list common qualities of books that fall into the young adult literature genre. In my opinion the authors provide a great definition and list of qualities that help one determine or classify a book as fitting into the genre of young adult literature. Given the definition and qualities, I would argue that Little Women by Louisa May Alcott is no longer a relevant example of young adult literature. I believe that when it was written and for a number of years thereafter, Little Women was very clearly an example of young adult literature, but that as times have changed, the book no longer meets the needs of young adults aged 12 through 20 and rather just barely meets the needs of young ladies aged 12 and 13.

Little Women was published in 1868 and Alcott admits that she used her own life with her sisters as inspiration for the story (Bucher and Hinton, 2004). She claims to relate mostly to the character Jo Marsh. Times are very different than they were in the mid-to-late 1800s. The first quality that Butler and Hinton claim to define young adult literature is that it should reflect young adults' age and development by addressing their reading abilities, thinking levels, and interest levels” (9). The main characters are four sisters aged sixteen through twelve. I do think that book meets this first quality, as the characters are the same age as the readers. I also feel that the book is written in a way that meets the readers' reading abilities and that the writing style is especially appropriate for those aged 12 to 13. I fear that once the readers' reach the age of 14, the book may have less appeal.

The thinking levels and interest levels of young adults living in the 21st century are much different than those living in the 19th century. Although, many argue that Little Women is a timeless novel, I disagree. I find there to be a mixture of timeless and contemporary issues that the Marsh sisters face, yet just not enough timeless elements to hold it as a true example of young adult literature. Butler and Hinton state the novels should include topics such as dealing with parents and other adults in authority; facing illness and death; dealing with peer pressure, specifically relating to drugs, alcohol, and sexual experimentation; and facing the realities of pregnancy and addiction (10). Some examples of the timeless issues that present themselves in the novel are the on-going struggle of trying to impress their Papa when he returns from the war, when Beth gets sick with scarlet fever, the death of the Hummel baby, Papa's illness that Mother has to go tend to, and Mr. Brooke's romantic interest in Meg. These are clear examples of how the girls must deal with parents and other adults in authority, as well as facing illness and death. One example of timeless peer-pressure that comes to mind is when Meg is pressured into a makeover for a ball that she later regrets. Peer-pressure is something that tends to shift with current culture. Most of what adolescents are being pressured into by their peers has changed with time, especially for young ladies.

Due to the change that occurs with time, I am not sure that this novel adequately considers world perspectives, especially cultural and gender diversity, which is the final quality that Bucher and Hinton claim relevant in distinguishing a book as young adult literature (10). The book is written from the perspective of four young sisters and therefore, does not meet the needs of young boys. Many of the chapters have life lessons or morals at the end that the reader is to learn from the characters' experiences. While some of these are timeless lessons, I find them all to be based off of out-dated experiences. For example, when Amy takes the lemons to school and gets in trouble as a result, she learns that is not okay to show off what you have. A good lesson, but the entire experience would be hard for young adolescents of the 21st century to relate to their daily lives. Teachers are no longer allowed to hit students nor is the example of bringing lemons to divvy out to your friends something that would be done by young adolescents of the 21st century. Perhaps some would argue that the lesson itself and the example are timeless enough, but I disagree.



Given the fact that Little Women is not as timeless as many would argue, I find many of the experiences would be hard to relate to for readers. I would like to read this book with or have my young girl of 12 or 13 read this book, however I don't see my son reading it nor do I see a 14 year-old girl or older reading it simply because the issues no longer stand true for that age group in the 21st century. With all of this in mind, I do not find Little Women to be a true example of young adult literature, but rather an example of a classic or literary canon - a term used widely to refer to a group of literary works that are considered the most important of a particular time period or place. Perhaps it could have a place in the secondary classroom when paired with a more authentic young adult piece of literature, but standing alone, I think many students would struggle to read this book. I know I did.

9 comments:

  1. Karisma,

    Way to take the dissenting view on the text. I know you didn't enjoy the book but it seems you are the only one of us so far that doesn't believe that Little Women is an example of YAL. I like how you acknowledged the opposing side in each of your examples but reverted readers to the fact that the example still doesn't meet the qualifications of YAL. You argued your case well. Do you think a modern version of this story would revolutionize it? For example, recently an updated version of Annie was released in theaters and reworked the basic story to fit the 21st century audience as opposed to a setting in the 1920s/30s setting. If Little Women experienced a similar revamp, would you be more accepting of it as YAL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,

      Yes, I do think that Little Women being "revamped" to better fit the 21st century audience would be interesting. With that said, I also think that Little Women fits the criteria of a timeless classic that students should be exposed to. I wish I had been exposed to it as a younger girl. I also think that pairing it with a YA historical fiction title could be interesting.

      Delete
    2. It almost seems like escapism to read Little Women because the issues these women face are minor compared to the issues of young adults today. I can't help but think that Little Women would be appropriate for the 9 to 14-year-old range or the adults of an older generation that remember the 60s. There is a naivete to the March sisters when they are younger, and then they transition into adulthood, which is slightly less identifiable to the 9 to 14-year-old audience. And I mention this age range because it would seem appropriate for the young before they are jaded by what they see on TV, movies, and video games. When I told my mother, who was born in 1969, that I was reading Little Women for my class, she was excited for only the second time ever since I started college many years ago (the first time she could connect was when I mentioned reading Benjamin Franklin). My mom stated that she read Little Women when she was nine-years-old and that over the years she must of read it five times. She also loved Black Beauty, Anne of Green Gables, and anything by Daphne Du Maurier (so much that she named my sister Daphne). I can't help but think that Little Women should be a book that is recommended for advanced studies Language Arts students in the 4th to 8th grades.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This post was a repeat so I deleted it.

      Delete
    5. Um, my mom was born in 1945 and married in 1969--don't know what I was thinking.

      Delete
    6. Dawn,

      I agree with whole-heartedly that this book would be great for girls aged 9-14 and I like your idea of using as a advanced literature title for enrichment in 4th to 8th grades. I just can't see a 16 year-old girl enjoying this book or even appreciating it. Perhaps, if she was really into life in 1800 and 1900s or if she had read the book previously and loved it, but it would be impossible to find a whole class full of those students and I especially think it would be difficult to ask a young 16 year-old boy to read. Not to mention, I was not a huge fan of the book myself, so I would honestly have a tough time "forcing" my students to read it. The books that I love are usually the ones that I can also get my kids to buy into.

      So, I wonder if you are true lover of Little Women, if you would find it more accessible in a high school classroom.

      Delete
    7. Oh and by the way, my mom was also very excited when I told her about reading Little Women. She was born in 1960 and married in 1982.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete