Monday, June 1, 2015

Blog 2 - Do This, Do That: Why I Will Continue to Teach Challenging Literature


Do This, Do That: Why I Will Continue to Teach Challenging Literature

In Sarah Dryer’s “Read This, Not That: Why and How I’ll Use Young Adult Literature in My Classroom” she argues that young adult literature should be used in an English classroom because it easier for student with low reading abilities to understand, it appeals to diverse readers, and it is more relevant to teenagers than canonical literature. Dryer also argues the importance of producing aesthetic readers as well as efferent readers in order to produce lifelong readers who are empowered by their ability to enjoy and interpret books independently. While young adult literature can be a bridge to canonical literature, it cannot and should not replace the canon simply because it is easier to read. Dryer places too much emphasis on young adult literature as easily accessible and relevant replacement for canonical literature. While literature instruction should be accessible to the student in accordance with their abilities, the strict use of young adult literature is not going to sufficiently prepare students to be autonomous adults in a diverse society.
Dryer is correct when she states that children need multicultural literature in the classroom; however, this does not only occur through the use of young adult literature, but can be achieved through incorporating diverse, high-quality world literature in the classroom. Dryer finds that “a curriculum containing nothing but Hawthorne, Shakespeare, and other literary giants prevent students from studying non-white and non-male viewpoints” (34). Yet according to the Virginia Standards of Learning for grade ten reading, the instruction of multicultural literature is one of the three reading goals: “The student will read, comprehend, and analyze literary texts of different cultures and eras” (English Standards 2). Currently, tenth grade textbooks include such authors as Langston Hughes, Sandra Cisneros, Chinua Achebe, Luisa Valenzuela, Elie Wiesel, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Yoshiko Uchida. These authors do not always target a young adult audience, but write high-quality literature that provides different perspectives and invite empathy in their readers.
Another method of including different perspectives in the classroom is through the use of nonfiction. While nonfiction does not encourage students to be aesthetic readers, but to be efferent readers, reading to gain information is a valuable skill in life especially when navigating a car mechanic’s manual, a nurse’s text book, or cable TV assembly instructions. Perhaps the greater skill that can be taught readers is to read with a discerning eye for bias both in nonfiction and fiction. This would serve an autonomous reader and citizen of the world well and is equally important to reading the personal views of diverse society members.

Thus, the classics should continue to be taught even if the literature is written predominately by white males. This is a reflection of the social hierarchy of a given period of history, which should not be ignored but should be read to show the change of authorship, voice, and structure of literature over time. Reading the classics reflects the evolution or lack of evolution in the beliefs of mankind. While a love for classic literature cannot necessarily be taught, students should be exposed to classic literature because it is the voice of history. While Dyer is critical of reading a story to figure out the connections between fictional characters and real historical people, this is often important in determining the theme and author’s purpose. Dyer’s dismissal of the efferent stance in favor of the aesthetic stance, as a means of encouraging readers to become autonomous, lacks the sense of balance that modern readers should maintain. Students should be challenged in their reading from the “flowery” language of the classics to the modern technical language of science (Dryer 36). While struggling readers may benefit from accessible young adult literature, readers who do not struggle should continue to be challenged, which means keeping classical literature in the curriculum.

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post because I chose to argue that Dyer presented a convincing argument for utilizing young adult literature in the classroom. I like how you included some examples of multicultural authors that are currently being taught in schools and pointed out the fact that young adult literature is not the only outlet for ensuring that students experience different cultural perspectives in literature. I also enjoyed your incorporation of nonfiction as an important genre to utilize in the classroom.

    While I do agree that classic literature should not be replaced entirely by young adult fiction, I do believe that Dyer makes some convincing arguments for using young adult literature in the classroom. Personally, I think there is room for both. Do you think young adult literature should stay out of the classroom altogether?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I agree that young adults can connect with literature that targets their interests and issues. Also, the language is easier for the students to process. In my 10th and 11th grade English classes, I teach the classics, young adult literature, nonfiction, etc. As far as young adult literature is concerned, I teach The Hunger Games to my 10th graders. I found it very interesting that Dryer mentioned it in her article and agree that The Hunger Games is a viable method for teaching about dystopian literature and learning literary devices. I have read Fahrenheit 451 and think it would be appropriate for advanced readers or general English in the 12th grade. So, I am not opposed to young adult literature and agree that it can be a bridge to classics as well as a resource for low performing readers. In case your wondering, my students are general students that perform in the average range in theory. Some struggle with reading and writing, while others are in general because they do not want the work load of an advanced placement course.

      Delete
  2. I was also happy that you touched on nonfiction as nonfiction and biographies are fantastic to teach in class. I wonder, though, that if you feel that some of the authors you named can't be considered YA? For example, by the standards of our textbook, Langston Hughes definitely fits the YA literature definition. In bookstores, Jane Austen, William Shakespeare, and Charlotte Bronte are all housed in YA as well as classics. I think that what Dyer, and the rest of us, need to look at is WHAT IS considered to be YA literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen -

      I agree with you regarding what makes YAL, YAL. We just don't know yet and who's to say that some of the classics aren't also examples of YAL?

      Delete
  3. Dawn,

    I argued the opposite and I was really hoping you would write about this topic, as I was curious as an English teacher what your thoughts are. I am primarily an elementary school teacher with some experience in teaching math to middle schoolers and so, secondary English is definitely not within my comfort zone. Thank you for your post. I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the opposite point of view argued.

    I would be inclined to agree with you that the classics still have a place and that completely replacing the classics with YAL is extreme. Personally, I find any extreme in the classroom to usually be a "bad" idea.

    With that said, I do think that YAL should perhaps be highlighted more than the classics with just a few classics being required per year, as opposed to requiring almost all classic text. When you said that "..it cannot and should not replace the canon simply because it is easier to read," I sort of cringed because I don't think and I surely hope that is not the reason why Dryer or anyone would argue for YAL replacing the classics.

    I find using the classics and YAL together or even pairing them to help students make clear connections between themes to be a great way to make everyone happy. I would also argue that YAL more easily lends itself to teaching or exposing students to current multicultural issues than the classics, as times have changed so much since many of the classics were written. I also feel that using YAL and the classics both lend themselves to teaching literary theory.

    Again, I do think that any extreme is not recommended and personally, there are many classics that I was required to read as a student which I would not have read on my own. I loved them and am thankful that a teacher required me to read them. Completing weeding out the classics is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great response from Dawn and a great series of comments from the rest of you! I hope we can continue this discussion in class a bit. When I wrote the prompt, I found myself believing what Dawn argues here--that Dyer is too dismissive of the "classics" and that her argument for essentially dropping them in favor of YAL is therefore not very persuasive. But as some of the rest of you argued, "persuasive" is subjective.

    ReplyDelete